Monday, June 30, 2014

LiftingLog: June 30, 2014

Today I got to take my son to the gym with me for the first time ever. It was a great experience and he was so excited to wear his "boom shirt". He was even more excited when he got to lift a few dumbbells and show off (they were 2 pounders). 

This is also the week I will be testing my maxes on the big three lifts. I am aiming to compete August 2, 2014 at the Ironworks IX at Smitty's Ironworks in Midland, MI. I'm looking to be in the 165 pound class. Based on my current progression I may be able to break a state record for the bench press. It is currently 319 and I'm estimating my new max will be 315 this Thursday. That will give me 4 weeks to add 5 pounds to my max and beat the current record. 

I've been foam rolling two times per week and focusing on doing the rolling workouts the evening before my leg days. I am trying to alleviate any knots that may hinder performance and mobility. I've been reading some articles on being too loose prior to training and doing so can hinder performance. Obviously with a powerlifting meet in my sites, performance is everything. 

My current eating for the week has been higher carbs on training days with lower carbs on off days. This ensures proper energy levels during training as well as limiting excess calories on days where I'm not expending as many calories (off days). Don't be fooled by the "clean eating" crowd. I did have some chicken wings this weekend. My weight and waist are still on par with my goals. I'm currently sitting at 165.4 pounds (as of Saturday morning 06-28-14) and re-checked today weighing the same. Chicken wings didn't effect anything. Have goals and stick to them. Be sure to follow the caloric recommendations that you've laid out or had laid out for you. 

Until next time, thanks for reading!
Good night LiftingFamily!

No comments:

Post a Comment